About the team
383’s Engineering team is concerned with the design, build and optimisation of digital products and services. This might range from a proof-of-concept demo or a single sprint MVP build to a custom API that powers mobile and web apps, to a fully CMS driven website or internationally distributed cloud based system. Whilst having involvement in the ideation, scoping and design, it is their ultimate responsibility to ensure that products are delivered to match the agreed functionality, spec and finish.
About the role
The role of DevOps Engineer covers the design and build of hosting environments allowing all engineers to work on a consistent and reliable platform from their local machine, through to QA, staging and production. Once in production, you will be responsible for covering the ongoing maintenance, backups, security and optimisation required to ensure that 383’s engineering team are able to develop, build and scale with confidence.
Performing a critical role as part of the Engineering team, your mission will be to ensure 383’s commitment to the highest standards when provisioning, maintaining and securing our web applications is fully upheld.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for:
- Devising the strategy for our Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Ongoing management and optimisation of 383 and client infrastructure
- Introducing containerisation technology across the engineering team and hosting environments to ensure consistency of technologies and efficiency gains in development, deployment, scaling and maintenance
- Creating and implementing a process for 'one click' deployments
- Ensuring that our security process integrates with those of our clients so that we're fully compliant with all requirements
- Configuring, monitoring and testing our disaster recover process and tooling
- Creating and managing databases, including backups and access control
- Managing, procuring and installing SSL Certificates and domain renewals
- Creating a process and platform for ongoing monitoring of services and infrastructure including an alerting and logging solution
- Training and knowledge sharing for other members of the team to ensure that you aren't a single point of failure
- Being on call to respond to SLA alerts and creating a rota for other engineers
- Working with our QA department to ensure that the SDLC and QA processes are aligned
- Make AWS the place we use for all current and future projects
- Experience working across the stack, you should be comfortable tracing the flow of data from the database, backend and presentation layers
- Able to demonstrate a working knowledge of the git version control system from time within at least a mid sized team (branching/pull requests etc)
- Experience working collaboratively with other disciplines within the engineering domain
- Experience in calmly and confidently resolving issues independently and as a team
- An expert knowledge of UNIX based operating systems
- A ver good working knowledge of cloud based platforms including but not limited to AWS, Rackspace and Azure
- A working knowledge of containerisation technologies including, but not limited to, Docker
- Experience with implementing an Infrastructure as Code strategy to DevOps
- Experience devising deployment strategies and implementing these within a team of engineers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A keen eye for detail and ensuring that every aspect of a plan has been executed
- Ability to plan your own time and also align with other timelines
- Able to work independently and also as part of a team
- Ability to see something through from idea to concept, ensuring that all stakeholders and kept up to speed with issues or blockers
- Always strive to make the next project the best project you have ever done
- Be raring to try new things, even if they don’t succeed
- Happy to work and play with new people and tech
- Have the courage to embrace risk and trust each other
We’d love it if you…
- Have a backend or full stack engineering background
- Have implemented a continuous integration process previously
- Knowledge of cloud based platform Docker and Continuous Integration
There’s loads of great reasons to become a 383er. Alongside our annual 383 weekender, we hold regular company training events, 383 Labs days, share breakfast and wind-down drinks every Friday, and have unlimited coffee and snacks to keep us going through the working week.
Just to let you know...
We're thrilled with the applications we receive for our roles, and love taking the time to review them, but unfortunately we’re not able to reach out to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in contact with you!