About the team
383’s Design Team are critical to our operating system, being the area of the business focussed on Human Centred Design and how the things we develop for our clients affect real people. Working collaboratively with our Strategy and Engineering teams in developing elegant solutions for complex problems, they focus on both the needs of the end user through human centred design and the commercial goals of our clients.
Through the use of various proposition, service and experience design processes, the design team are responsible for the conceptual, visual and interactive design for the brands we work with, maintaining a strong emphasis on human-centred design. They enable brands to visualise user journeys and commercial opportunities, making quick decisions on product roadmaps to deliver best-in-class customer experiences.
About the role
We're looking for a passionate and highly talented Design Principal to be an important part of our growing team, working closely with the Head of Design to define and evolve how design works at 383. You need to be at the top of your game, have a strong, versatile portfolio and several years experience crafting human-centred experiences and products that are genuinely useful for real people.
You will have the confidence and authority to lead ideation workshops with our biggest clients, collaborate with our engineering and strategy team and assist commercial with winning new work and defining the scope of our projects. You'll be able to adapt to both product and service design methodologies, be as happy in front of a wall of post it notes as you are in crafting high fidelity prototypes in Sketch. Using agile working practices, you will be responsible for ensuring that experience design processes are successfully created and followed, acting as the advocate of the user in all areas of project work but always keeping a strong commercial awareness of the project goals.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for:
- Translating strategic research and insights into testable wireframes and experiences, then into highly-polished visual composites with a user-centered design methodology.
- Creating high standard and engaging UI, carefully considering user needs, business requirements and technical constraints.
- Design digital experiences that solve business problems and engage real people.
- Mentoring others within the business and improving internal processes.
- Work with our client’s customers and users to understand their experiences, pain points and areas of opportunity when interacting with the client’s brand.
- Collaborate with the Strategy and Engineering teams to ensure our deliverables are aligned to our strategic vision for a client.
- Designing programmes of work with the Business Development team, attending project pitches and representing 383 at client kick-off meetings.
- Shared responsibility for 383 branding and marketing support, defining the look and feel of our business and consumer communications and events programme.
- 5+ years of experience at a multi-disciplined agency or client.
- A portfolio containing a solid balance between digital and brand expression and thinking, clearly illustrating evidence of design thinking and human centred design.
- Some experience with user research and usability testing.
- A strong working knowledge of industry standard design and prototyping tools (Sketch, Photoshop, Invision Marvel, Principle etc).
- Proficient in wireframing and comfortable producing concept sketches, user flows, storyboards and prototypes.
- Experience with mobile and responsive design.
- Held a senior design position consistently across a variety of projects, comfortably interfacing with clients and leading discussions on recommended design direction
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Be experienced with leading but also comfortable in following direction.
- Ability to simplify the complex.
- Contribute to inspiring a culture of creativity and digital innovation.
- Experience working with strategists and engineers to understand how we can balance delight and utility.
- Working awareness of relevant methodologies including Jobs To Be Done, Business Model Canvas and Value Proposition Canvas
- Confident leading and mentoring others.
- Able to translate strategic thinking into relevant and unique design paths and experiences.
- Calm - solutions-focused in all scenarios.
- Thinker - approach opportunities logically and with a commercial mindset.
- Collaborative - you value peer contribution and feedback and let it inform your approach and output
- Positive - no challenge is too big or small for you.
- Energy - you bring bags of it every day, the only way is forward!
- Articulate, thoughtful, and respectful.
- Be resilient to change and uncertainty.
- Be curious and pull visual and cultural references to define ideas.
- Willingness to take a position and passionately support.
We’d love it if you…
- Had video capture, composition & editing experience.
- Have some exposure and experience with engineering techniques, for example coding up a simple site in HTML & CSS
- Have led on new product development for a large, well know brand or organisation.
- Have experience in delivering a new product or service across multiple markets and clients.
- Gained significant experience with a global product or innovation agency.
There’s loads of great reasons to become a 383er. Alongside our annual 383 weekender, we hold regular company training days, 383 Labs days, share breakfast and wind-down drinks on Fridays, and have unlimited coffee and snacks to keep us going through the working week.
There’s also flexible working hours, your birthday off [because noone wants to work on their birthday], comprehensive health plan and a monthly benefit budget to spend on whatever you like, such as the gym, Netflix, Spotify or shopping vouchers.
Just to let you know...
We're thrilled with the applications we receive for our roles, and love taking the time to review them, but unfortunately we’re not able reach out to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in contact with you!