Head of Engineering
About the team
383’s Engineering Team help bring digital propositions to live and in to the hands of millions of end users all over the world in a robust, scalable and secure way. This might range from a proof-of-concept demo or a single sprint MVP build, to a fully CMS driven website or internationally distributed cloud based system. Whilst having involvement in the ideation, scoping and design, it is their ultimate responsibility to ensure that products are delivered to match the agreed functionality, spec and finish.
About the role
The role of Head of Engineering at 383 is to lead the Engineering teams output, strategy and vision.
We build sites which are seen by hundreds of thousands of people around the world on a daily basis, generating millions in revenue for global brands. We also craft sites for startups where iterating quickly is key for getting off the ground. We're looking for a Head of Engineering to support our Product Director to manage the process, tools and technologies that we use to create world class digital experiences.
You will need a thorough knowledge of the development lifecycle, including technical writing, planning and scoping to ensure that you can help the Engineering team and wider business to deliver the goals of the project. Expert knowledge of PHP is essential for this position. We mainly work with WordPress and Laravel but are always adapting to use the best technology for the problem space. You must be the kind of developer who understands why we use WordPress as a CMS but who won't settle for what you get out of the box. A proven problem solver and solutions finder, you may not have all of the answers straight away, but you’ll have the skills, experience and approach to work with team members to find a solution.
As one of our core principles, we value people who think and don't follow. We want people who can build distributed cloud systems but also recognise when that design isn't appropriate for the task at hand.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Product Director with adopting new technologies and frameworks.
- Supporting the Engineering team with development tasks including pair programming, solution finding and code reviews.
- Working with the Product Director to ensure that progression and training plans are in place for each Engineer.
- Assisting in architecting our larger builds, ensuring they are secure, stable and robust.
- Working with our QA team to ensure that our test process is as efficient and automated as possible.
- Working with the Product Director to ensure that our tools, platforms and services are managed and self sufficient.
- From time to time being an additional resource into the Engineering team, supporting on back end projects.
- 5+ Years experience in a Digital Agency environment
- Line-managed a multi-function engineering team
- Expert knowledge of PHP is essential
- Significant exposure to WordPress and Laravel but are always adapting to use the best technology for the problem space. You must be the kind of developer who understands why we use WordPress as a CMS but who won't settle for what you get out of the box.
- We're a Git studio by default, so a working knowledge is a must.
- Experience designing and maintaining databases is a benefit. While we primarily use MySQL, we've used and are open to using many others including MongoDB, SQLite and Postgres.
- Working Knowledge of Ubuntu, Apache, nginx and other components such as Redis and Varnish
- Familiarity setting up a fresh server is always a good sign.
- Most of our projects use various tooling including gulp, grunt, and ansible. Experience with any of these or similar is a bonus.
- Experience in configuring containers and other cloud based environments.
- Always adapting to use the best technology for the problem space.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to plan your own time and also align with other timelines
- Able to work independently and also as part of a team
- Know how to debug code and help others debug theirs
- Ability to use the command line, even if it's just listing files for now
- An understanding of the wider business and the disciplines within it
- Able to document systems, where it compliments code
- Able to talk to non-technical users and explain necessary actions
- Improver - Always strive to make the next project the best project
- Enthusiastic - Raring to try new things, even if they don’t succeed and a willingness to learn
- Friendly - Happy to work and play with new people
- Brave - Have the courage to embrace risk and trust each other
We’d love it if you…
- Experience with testing at all levels including Xdebug and PHP Unit will be a big boon.
- Experience with other languages will demonstrate your talents, especially if you're confident with Android development.
There’s loads of great reasons to become a 383er. Alongside our annual 383 weekender, we hold regular company training days, 383 Labs days, share breakfast and wind-down drinks on Fridays, and have unlimited coffee and snacks to keep us going through the working week.
There’s also flexible working hours, your birthday off [because noone wants to work on their birthday], comprehensive health plan and a monthly benefit budget to spend on whatever you like, such as the gym, Netflix, Spotify or shopping vouchers.
Just to let you know...
We're thrilled with the applications we receive for our roles, and love taking the time to review them, but unfortunately we’re not able reach out to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in contact with you!